Samaná - the Caribbean paradise
The peninsula Samaná is exactly what we imagine in the best case under Caribbean: white long and often empty beaches, palm forests and in many places very original. My location was Santa Barbara de Samaná, because from there the Walwatch tour started.
If I only would go to this wonderful peninsula for nature and beach, I would go all the way to the eastern tip, to Las Galeras - it is a paradise. For a beach trip I was there, at Playa Rincón, which is one of the most beautiful beaches of the Caribbean.
Local cooking at the western corner of the bay, where also a small river flows into the sea. One gets freshly baked coconut bread.
A few tips for - not all-inclusive - trips to Samaná:
Rent a car
- best not a limousine but rather an off-road vehicle, sometimes the roads are very bad with deep potholes
- check where the horn and the hazard warning lights are, check the spare wheel (and if possible know how to change it in an emergency)
- download road map before, there are areas without Internet
- the Dominicans drive wild, but not aggressive; always look ahead and watch out for potholes.
Available from very simple to extremely luxurious
In Santa Barbara e.g. good price-performance ratio (not luxurious but nice)
Super luxury on the Cayo Levantado (this is Bacardi Island!)
Resort Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
- Playa Rincon! 3 km long, turquoise water and deserted
My favorit bar was at the Malecón of Santa Barbara
- Bar Royal (simple, fresh food, very cheap, sea view, locals are there, friendly staff)
Those who have more time than just a weekend should definitely visit the nature park Los Haitises and swim under the waterfall El Limon.